I just made a fresh batch of this chex mix for the girls and decided to toss in some pink and red to give it all the Valentine’s Day feels. It’s one of Mila’s favourite treats, and I think the aroma of caramel that comes from it baking is one of those smells that will create nostalgia for the girls as they get older; it’s comforting, ‘home-y’ and delicious. I try and bake Chex mix before Mila gets home from school (on the rare occasions when I actually have the time), and she loves smelling it as she walks through the door.
This recipe was passed down to me from my mom who would frequently make chex mix for us – savoury during Fall and Winter, sweet and salty during Spring and Summer. It’s such a simple recipe, there’s absolutely nothing fancy about it, but it’s a big hit in our household and I think yours will love it too! Enjoy! xo
- 4 Cups Chex Cereal
- 3 Cups Cheerios
- 1 Cup Pretzels, broken up
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Pecan Halves (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Valentine's Day Chocolates of Choice (I used M&M's and chocolate hearts)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray large pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine chex cereal, cheerios, pretzels, rolled oats, and pecan halves in prepared pan; set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, maple syrup, and salt in a saucepan. Stir frequently until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour the mixture over the cereal and toss to coat.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, stirring often (every 5 minutes or so) to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Remove from oven once mixture is golden. Let cool completely then mix in the Valentine's chocolate. Mix will have hardened by now - break into pieces and enjoy!